ByLester Victor Marks
Friday, December 06, 2019, 05:03 am PT (08:03 am ET)
This week on the AppleInsider Podcast, Victor and William talk about Qualcomm making iPhone 5G a priority for 2020, and Ming Chi Quo has a prediction about in-display Touch ID. Plus BMW indicates a change in direction and stops charging for CarPlay.
- Apple wants to use LED or OLED to transmit data, ala AirDrop without broadcasting to all the phones in the area, and has two new patents on the topic
- Apple Watch may have applications in helping with the treatment of Parkinson’s
- US law may soon require carriers to address the problem of robocalls
- Qualcomm’s CEO has revealed that 5G for iPhone is now the firm’s top priority
- BMW was the only car company charging a subscription fee for CarPlay, but now it’s starting to back down from that
- It’s been revealed that Apple tracks location even when all your apps have location tracking turned off. Victor explains how and why.
- New rumors from the supply chain claim that as well as planning several phones in 2020 and beyond, Apple is investigating bringing back Touch ID, this time as part of the screen rather than a separate Home button.
- How Apple couldn’t get out of the butterfly keyboard class action case even though it is replacing and repairing faulty keyboards
- Apple Pay Express Mode is spreading to new cities and transit companies. It’s a tiny change yet this week it helped William rush around London faster than ever
- Sundar Pichai becomes CEO of Alphabet as well as Google
We like reader email —send us your comments and concerns!.
The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for “AppleInsider.”Click here to listen, subscribe, and don’t forget to rate our show.
Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:
Check out our sponsors:
- ExpressVPN– Visit expressvpn.com/appleinsider, you can get an extra three months of ExpressVPN for free! Support the show, watch what you want, and protect yourself at ExpressVPN.com/AppleInsider
- MasterClass– For a limited time, when you buy one Annual MasterClass All-Access Pass for yourself, you’ll get another one to gift, for FREE! Go to masterclass.com/appleinsider to get started with this limited time offer. Buy one All-Access Pass, and get one free to gift, at masterclass.com/appleinsider.
- LightStream– Refinance your credit card balances and save with a Credit Card Consolidation loan from LightStream. You can get a rate as low as 5.95% APR with autopay. Apply now to get an additional interest rate discount. The ONLY way to get this discount is to go to Lightstream.com/appleinsider.
- MacUpdater– Update over 35,000 apps with MacUpdater, and get 10% off with the coupon code APPLEINSIDER
- Apple wants you to share data between iPhones by pointing them at each other
- Future Apple Watch may help treat Parkinson’s Disease or diagnose tremor symptoms
- Anti-robocall legislation passes through US House, on track to become law
- Qualcomm working to deliver 5G iPhone ‘as fast as we can’
- BMW puts the brakes on CarPlay subscription fee in UK
- iPhone 11 Pro found to collect location data against user settings
- Apple allegedly discussing Touch ID reinstatement, Mini LED screens with supplier GIS
- Apple to face class action over MacBook butterfly keyboard
- You can now pay for London Underground rides with Apple Pay Express Mode
- Sundar Pichai minted CEO of Alphabet as Google co-founders step aside
Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at[email protected].